Saturday, January 28, 2017

Family Hurdles

I'm not sure what is next so bear with me.  I have spent the past week dealing with life.   The following events are a part of life that you can not avoid.   

It started with family dynamics of which I should not have had to be a part.  My brother wasn't told about an upcoming surgery that our father has to have and was hurt by my father and myself even though his wife was told. It seems to always be about him and his feelings or challenges.  It is a long story.  Let's just say he has been the center of everyone's world because of his bad choices and he's never had to really bail himself out of trouble.  He has been taken care of by everyone else.  Instead of asking what he could do to help, he made it about his pain and hurt.   

Next we got news that one of our uncles passed away.  It didn't happen to be an uncle with which I was very close, but he was the husband of my dad's eldest sister.  She is someone I was very close to as a child and I feel very badly for her loss.  I hate that she has to go through this.  Apparently he had just found out that he had cancer so it was a blessing in disguise.   Although it never really seems to be a blessing for the ones left behind.      

Within a couple of days, I received a call from my dad saying that his younger sister had had a stroke and was in the hospital.  He was very shaken up, because she lives with him and couldn't figure out was wrong.  She was in bad health prior to this incident so it's very scary.  Dad depends on her help even though she drives him crazy.  Her carotid artery is partially blocked and they were suppose to clear it out.  We are still waiting after a week to here back from the doctor on what he has done.  

Selfishly I'm thinking about my already scheduled trip to be with my dad.  I'm anxious about what I will need to do.  I don't know if she will still be in the hospital or in a rehab facility or what.  I know that my dad is concerned about what he needs to do so I will need to help him stay calm so that he'll be alright for his surgery which is in 4 days.  I don't know how any of this works financially.  I know dad needs her assistance to pay the bills and he is worried that they will take all of her money.  He won't admit it, but I know he is also worried about losing her.  He would be alone. 

 So that has been my week.  When I spoke of life's challenges that keep you from moving forward,  this is an example.  The key for me is to not get bogged down and work my way through it all.  Remembering my ultimate goal, which is discovering what makes me truly sing and following that.  I don't have the answers on how that is done, but I guess that is where listening to God and waiting patiently for his direction comes into the picture.  I'm not saying to do nothing.  What needs to be done is continue to move and be cognizant of the Lord.

Coping with Life's Challenges and Patiently Listening-







No comments:

Post a Comment